Friday, April 10, 2009

Jaga Jazzist - What We Must

I think the most impressive musical talent is the talent of composition. The ability to understand how music can be arranged and executed complexly is a trait I long for. It's something I've been striving for in the 5 or so years I've been attempting to create music/art. I feel like these jazz cats from Norway have some impressive composing skills. This album is called What We Must and I picked it up the other day after having downloaded it like a year ago. This album blew me away when I was laying in bed sick this week. It was calming and laid back, but it has a confidence that it exudes that just flipped my shit. Made up of more than half a dozen instrumentalists and multi-instrumentalists, Jaga Jazzist combines the ideas of jazz with the modern appeal of post-rock. Those two words...post....rock. So god damn annoying, but don't be scared. This isn't some kind of overdone album with slow chromatic build-ups and "emotional" releases. This is an interesting and electic album that some have begun to call "nu-jazz." I have no idea what that really means, but it interests the hell out of me. This album is legit.

Also sorry for not updating this bitch that much. I've been getting into college and whatever.



1 comment:

  1. hi man! i don't know when was my first contact with your blog. but for somehow i kept the address in a word file. and now that i'm back you bring this cd from jaga jazzist. i guess i heard some of them and really liked. hope it's from this cd.
    thanks to continue this sharing thing :)

    ReplyDelete