Monday, August 10, 2009

St. Vincent - Actor

I'm posting a lot of my top 10 of 2009 already.

Oops.


St. Vincent, a.k.a. Annie Clark is the latest indie wondergirl this side of Marnie Stern. Not a second too soon either, because her record, "Actor" is fantasmical. Her compositions are quaint and melodic, but there's a heavy dose of noisy instrumentation from fuzzy guitars and blaring saxophones. The drums lock seamlessly with the percussive demeanor of her arrangements. Songs like "Marrow" and "Black Rainbow" are art-pop masterpieces that need to be heard. The leading single, "Actor Out of Work" is a marvelous pop tune with a gorgeous hook and a playful horn section.

This is the second St. Vincent record, and I can't wait to hear more. She has joined the sad list of bands I discovered AFTER they played at Bonnaroo. Oh well. This album is very nice.

St. Vincent - Actor

  1. "The Strangers" - 4:04
  2. "Save Me from What I Want" - 3:35
  3. "The Neighbors" - 3:30
  4. "Actor Out of Work" - 2:15
  5. "Black Rainbow" - 4:11
  6. "Laughing with a Mouth of Blood" - 3:01
  7. "Marrow" - 3:24
  8. "The Bed" - 3:43
  9. "The Party" - 4:05
  10. "Just the Same but Brand New" - 5:24
  11. "The Sequel" - 1:53
Try
Stream
Buy

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a downloadin' guy, but I've been looking EVERYWHERE for this album after hearing and loving "Actor Out of Work," so I guess I might as well just give it a try. Thanks for the link. :)

    ReplyDelete