Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind EP

Haven't listened yet. I figure it's good. It's Animal Fucking Collective. My download speed is not sufficient right now. I'm getting angry. Fucking college ethernet cable. Love you all. Do your homework.

EDIT: The first track is about as good as anything on Merriweather Post Pavilion.

EDIT NUMERO DOS: I was challenged to write a better review than the one Pitchfork gave this record. So here it goes right off the dome...



There's an interesting happenstance that occurs when the lyrics of a song sort of weave in and out of your brain and when they finally settle, you can decipher the meaning of the words. One thing I've always admired about AnCo member and 505-master, Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) is the way he writes his lyrics. Most times, when I read or hear really obvious and somewhat thin lyrics I find myself bored and uninspired. But with Lennox, there's always a decisive theme and mission with his words, and you can almost always pick it up. "And to have a band/That cracks the point of fame/Why does a band/Make me less settled in?" In the past year, Animal Collective went from blog-favorites and the best kept indie secret to having their music videos played in American Eagle, and new legions of bro-infested fan groups attend their shows. It's hard to be happy for them when you're seeing a band you held so dearly let themselves becomes victims of their own success.

Merriweather Post Pavilion makes sense to me now. A band releases a critically-acclaimed and widely accepted record, which in turn produces a very important stepping stone for a band to be able to release any kind of record they want while still retaining their initial new fan base...for the most part.

This 27 minute long, 5 song extended play features a collection of tracks that did not fit on MPP. A single listen to this one and it is easy to see why. Subtle layers of sonic textures coat shimmering vocal lines that twist in turn in an anti-pop but catchy way. Try not to hum "What Would I Want? Sky" after hearing it a couple times. Speaking of "Sky," this track may seem hard to swallow at first with over a minute and a half of 7/8 drum samples and reverberated vocal stylings from Avey and Panda. But after the break, the song releases into an uplifting stomp that always provides a satisfying sing-along. Opener "Graze" holds one of the band's best used samples in a pan-flute breakdown that gives away to a synth-bass infused refrain. "Bleed" and "On a Highway" are two vocal heavy tunes that feature gorgeous noise and more reverb than we knew Panda Bear had access to.

And to close the EP, is the Panda Bear-penned song, "I Think I Can." Once again, we can decode Lennox's thoughts through his lyrics. The song covers Lennox's confidence in his ability to move past his Person Pitch fame and continue to make interesting music. "What's nice about/Staying on the same phase?" More importantly, this song is close to perfect. It's a little on the long side for the amount of ideas in the song. But the rewarding part is the last half, when Noah flexes his vocal acrobatics.

It's hard to review this without bias, because I love this band so much. But I will say that this EP isn't perfect. It's sometimes easy to skip "Bleed" or "On A Highway" to hear "I Think I Can." And sometimes I just want to hear "What Would I Want? Sky." That's not to say this thing does not have replay value though. If you're in for the whole ride, it's easy to just start "Graze" again and go for the gold.

I think Animal Collective is in a right place right now. They moved past MPP and are poised to create a new style that fits their sound. Look for these guys to make another move in a couple of years after they settle in a little.



Download
Stream
Buy

1. Graze
2. What Would I Want? Sky
3. Bleed
4. On A Highway
5. I Think I Can

No comments:

Post a Comment